If you’ve been looking to online dating for your hookups then you’ve probably come across some of the tactics below used by scammers. You might have realized the woman you’re messaging doesn’t have honest intentions which can be very disappointing. But if you follow the tips below you may be able to avoid these scams and get to a real encounter the first time.
- Don’t share your personal details before meeting a potential partner in person. Your home address and phone number are just the kinds of information that scammers are looking for. Keep these to yourself until you develop some in-person trust.
- Do a search on google. Looking up a potential partner’s username or even just a portion of the text of their messages can be revealing. The user may even show up on one of many sites devoted to revealing scammers.
- Try to avoid long distance relationships with strangers. Most scammers will avoid victims in their local area to avoid getting caught. And keeping it close to home is clearly your best chance for real hookups.
- Is it their photo real? Here’s an easy trick.. upload that hot babe’s photo to tineye.com. This site shows you other pages on the net where the same photo appears. Scammers often use photos they find online.
- Watch out for immediate communication. Take note when the woman you’re messaging with always responds right away or within 15 minutes every time you send a message. You could be flirting with a bot!
- Never open attachments from a stranger. Watch out for members who send you their picture in an attachment. You could be downloading a virus along for the ride when you open it.
- Watch out for the sad story. Many scammers will claim to have sick relatives or a similar sob story to tug at your emotions. Or it might be an emergency in which only you can help. Another common dating scam involves a story in which the potential partner is on their way to visit, but their credit card is being declined. Guess who they want to foot the bill?
- Lastly, never wire money to a stranger! And yes, if you haven’t met her in person yet that sweet woman you’ve been messaging for weeks is still a stranger.
I wish you all the best of luck, and if you have any tips to add here, or a testamonial that could help others ward off trouble, please share it in the comments below!